Giuseppe Lombardo is researcher at the National Research Council and serves as Chief Technical Officer at Vision Engineering srl Italy. He has been engaged in the development of new methods for the study of ocular tissues and new tools for diagnosis and treatment of major disabling eye diseases for several years.
2003–2004: Master of Science in Innovations in Biomedical Engineering, University of Reggio Calabria Mediterranea. Thesis discussion: Computer Aid Diagnosis in Mammography the 29/11/2004.
1999–2002: PhD in Electronic Engineering, University of Reggio Calabria Mediterranea. Thesis discussion: Methods for the analysis of nematic textures with applications for Novel Bistable Devices the 19/02/2003.
1992–1998: Degree in Electronic Engineering, University of Reggio Calabria Mediterranea. final mark 110/110 with honours. Discussion of the experimental thesis: Nuovi display bistabili a cristallo liquido nematico: l’indirizzamento the 12/11/1998
13/11/2014 – Researcher at C.N.R-IPCF, c/o Physics Department, University of Calabria, Arcavacata di Rende (CS);
15/11/2004 – 12/11/2014 – Technologist (III level) at C.N.R-IPCF, c/o Physics Department, University of Calabria, Arcavacata di Rende (CS);
- Technical and Scientific Coordinator of CNR-INFM LiCryl Laboratory for the project C.R.E.S.C.I.T.A. “Conoscenza Ricerca E Sviluppo per l’Avvio in Calabria di Imprese a Tecnologia Avanzata”.
- Team Leader for Innova Tecnology Solutions. He aimed to build an adaptive mirror solar concentrator to produce electric power using the solar radiation and an innovative alarm based on laser technology capable to monitor indoor as well as outdoor environments
- Member of the evaluation committee of business plans proposed in ORU 03 “ How to create enterprise as graduate: supporting enterprise development and entrepreneurial culture diffusion”, ORACOLO 2 Project;
- Member of the evaluation committee of FIxO Project for the selection of 25 trainees of the “Course of general management of new high tech enterprises”;
- Member of the Evaluation Committee for the Competition “Reggio Start-up”;
- Barberi, R. Bartolino, G. Lombardo, F. Ciuchi, MP. De Santo, E.G. Virga, H. Ayeb, G. Durand, A.M. Sonnet, Drogaggio biassiale di nematici calamitici per display a cristalli liquidi bistabili o multi stabili, Italian patent n. CS2007A00032 e Liquid Crystal mixture and its use for bistable or multistable electro-otpical devices, WO2009004465 e EP2486106;
- Abate, R. Barberi, S. Cucumo, G. Desiderio, G. Lombardo, C. Manfredi, S. Monaco, R. Polillo, G. Posteraro, Concentratore solare ad ottica adattiva, Italian patent n. CS2008A00017;
- Petriashvili, R. Barberi, M. P. De Santo, M. A. Matranga, G. Desiderio, S. Abate, G. Lombardo, Laser senza specchi accordabile a tre strati, Italian patent n. CS2009A000003.
- Lombardo, M. Chiarantoni, E. Labozzetta, C. Lugarà, G. Mazzi, M. Marino, S. Martino, S. Abate, G. Desiderio, R. Barberi, Modulo di controllo per un dispositivo di allarme volumetrico, Brevetto Italiano n. CS2009A000006 e System control unit for a volumetric alarm device n. EP10002267;
- Lombardo, R. Barberi, S. Abate, G. Desiderio, Assorbitore di calore da radiazione solare per motore Stirling, Brevetto Italiano n. RM2010A000428 e n. Solar radiation heat absorber for stirling motor n. WO201216873
- Lombardo, S. Abate, G. Desiderio, R. Barberi, Metodo di dimensionamento di un generatore solare direttamente esposto alla radiazione solare e generatore solare ottenuto,Brevetto Italiano n. RM2011A000181 e Method for dimensioning a solar generation system, and the solar generation system obtained n. WO2012140575, n. EP12722855, n. US14050533
Giuseppe Lombardo is author of more than 70 peer-reviewed papers in Scientific Journal and 5 chapters in book in the fields of optics, photonics, mechanics and ophthalmology.
He serves as reviewer for the following international peer reviewed journals: Computers & Mathematics with Applications, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review E, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Biomedical Optics Express. He was speaker or Author at more than 70 National and International Congresses.
- Adaptive Optics methods to correct induced biological aberrations for imaging retinal photoreceptors;
- Numerical computing and simulations models for studying and analyzing mechanical and optical response induced on cornea subjects to different external stress (laser, transplant, etc).
- Optics, electro-optics and electric addressing scheme for liquid crystal devices.
- Numerical computing and simulations for the characterization of anisotropic systems (soft-matter) subjects to external stress (electric, magnetic, mechanical fields, etc.).
- Design and develop small renewable energy system for the production of electrical as well as thermal energy by using sun radiation and or geothermal energy.
Current Research Projects:
01/06/2011 – Transfer Tecnological expert for VIGOR “Valuation of the potentIal Geothermal energy for the COnvergence italian Regions” project financed by Italian Ministry of Economic Development;
01/10/2011 – CNR Principal Investigator for the project PON01_00110 “Piattaforme nanotecnologiche innovative per il delivery di farmaci in oftalmologia” (nel seguito denominato” presentato a valere sul Bando MIUR del 18 gennaio 2010 “Invito alla presentazione di progetti di ricerca industriale nell’ambito del Programma operativo nazionale Ricerca e competitività 2007-2013”;
21/09/2011 – CNR Principal Investigator for the project PON01_01840 “Programma di Energie Rinnovabili e Micro-Cogenerazione per l’Agroindustria ” (nel seguito denominato” presentato a valere sul Bando MIUR del 18 gennaio 2010 “Invito alla presentazione di progetti di ricerca industriale nell’ambito del Programma operativo nazionale Ricerca e competitività 2007-2013”;
01/06/2010 – Researcher for MIUR financed project PRIN 2008 (prot. 2008F3734A_003): Self assembly of nucleic acids: a molecular toolbox for soft matter science;
Selected past Research Projects:
01/12/2006 – 30/09/2010 Project Manager of the industrial project “Energy24” (PON, Prog. N. A15/1520/P 41287-13). The aim of the project was to design and develop an innovative solar concentrator for the co-generation of thermal and electric energy.
01/05/2008 – 31/01/2009 Project Manager for the project “VisibLaser”, granted by Region Calabria – POR Calabria 2000-2006 Misura 3.16, for the realization of a compact laser device for biomedical applications, with high efficiency, low cost and that can be modulated on the whole visible spectrum but also on the nearby UV and IR.
01/05/2008 – 31/01/2009 Project Manager for the project “IntelliControl”, granted by Region Calabria – POR Calabria 2000-2006 Misura 3.16, for the realization of a 3D laser scanning anti-intrusion device using digital signal processing technology
Prize “Reggio Innovazione” 2007 Edition, published by Chamber of Commerce of Reggio Calabria: category: award for scientific results of applicable consequences “Software for the analysis of the human eye optical quality”, 31 March 2008.
Prize for the best poster in refractive surgery section “Smoothness of excimer laser ablated corneas as observed at atomic force microscope” in IX Winter ESCRS Congress. Rome, February 2005.
Prize SICL as best degree thesis on liquid crystal applications granted by Società di Cristalli Liquidi Italiana – Year 2000.
- SICL – Società Italiana Cristalli Liquidi
- CNISM – Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Scienze fisiche della Materia
- IEEE – Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers
- ARVO – Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology